What happened recently??
- India’s own domestic GPS (Global Positioning System), Navigation with Indian Constellation (NavIC) has been approved by the international organization 3GPP (3rd Generation Partnership Project).
- NavIC is RPS i.e. Regional Navigation System. While others GPS have a position accuracy of 20-30 meters, the position accuracy of the NavIC is 5 meters, making it technically better than the all others GPS.
- It has been approved by the international organization 3GPP (3rd Generation Partnership Project) which means that now manufacturers can mass-produce the Navigation device compatible with India’s own GPS NavIC.
- This means that soon you will be able to use Indian GPS in your mobile. It is also possible that you will get the app of NavIC in mobile along with GPS (Global Positioning System). It has been built by the Indian Space Research Organisation(ISRO).
What is GPS??
The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a space-based satellite navigation system that provides location and time information in all weather conditions, anywhere on or near the Earth.
Types of GPS?
- Global GPS – Covers the whole Globe
- Regional GPS – Covers a region i.e. a country and its surroundings.
As of now, only the American NAVSTAR (Navigation Satellite and Ranging) and the Russian GLONASS (Global Navigation Satellite System) are fully operational globally.
Other big countries like China (BEIDOU/COMPASS), EU (GALILEO), France etc. are expanding their regional navigational systems which are expected to be globalised soon.
India has two regional GPS:
1. GAGAN: GPS Aided Geoaugmented Navigation Satellite System. It is for modernizing air traffic.
2. IRNSS: Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System.
IRNSS: Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System.
Why is it so badly required??
- Its requirement goes back to the time of Kargil war. At that time there was only one global GPS which was the American NAVSTAR.
- In Kargil war the enemies had an advantage of being in great position as they were sitting on top of the mountains and it was equally a disadvantage for the Indian Forces. It was difficult to get the exact location of the enemy bunkers.
- To capture the lost territory Indian Forces has to work very hard and in the process many soldiers got martyred.
- India demanded for the access of NAVSTAR from the USA but was rejected. That’s when the need of our own GPS arrived.
Points and features
- The project was approved by GOI in May 2006. It will be completely under the control of Indian Government.
- For this, our 8 satellites are deployed over India. Seven are for satellite navigation. One is for satellite messaging. Some apps based on NavIC are already working, while some will start soon. Soon NavIC based app will be lauched. So that, the common man can get the benefit of it.
- People are calling it NavIC as native GPS, but it cannot be called GPS. Because it will work only on India.
- For this, ISRO has placed 8 satellites in the orbit of the earth. Their full name is – Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) or NavIC.
- This will give you better navigation than GPS anywhere in India. Also, accurate positioning up to 1500 km outside the country’s borders will be known.
- ISRO Chief Dr. K. Sivan has told Times of India that he is very happy that 3GPP has given recognition to the NavIC. He said that NavIC is working perfectly.
Hope you liked this post. Comment below and let us know how it was!!!
Have Suggestions or query about any topic. Comment below and we will reply.
That's all for this time. Will be back soon with another interesting topic.
To be updated follow our facebook and instagram pages.