What happened recently??
- ISRO launched Chandrayaan 2 , a mission to explore the south pole of the moon.
- About 90%-95% of the mission’s objectives were completed. The objectives were to send an orbiter to the lunar orbit and Lander named Vikram would land on the surface of moon which has a rover named pragyan inside it. The rover would then come out and explore the lunar soil.
- The orbiter is orbiting around the moon whereas the Lander stopped giving signals when it was just 2.1 km above the moon’s surface.
- It is estimated that the orbiter has crash landed. ISRO has received a thermal image captured by the orbiter using OHRC(Optical High Resolution Camera) which is not so great and so far we only know that the Lander has landed 500m away from the planned place.
What went wrong??
- Four thrusters were fitted on board the Lander to support the descent operation, and decrease the speed from 1.6 km a second to almost zilch, and were programmed to function in sync with one another. Perhaps, one of them malfunctioned, resulting in loss of trajectory.
What Israel wants??
- Israel with the help of Space X sent a lander to the explore the lunar surface earlier this year but their lander crashed and their mission failed entirely.
- It is wise to use the term ‘fail’ for Israel’s mission as landing of the Beresheet Lander was their sole objective unlike India whose Orbiter is still orbiting and will orbit for seven and a half years carrying 8 payloads.
- ISRO, Israeli space agency Space IL may exchange notes on each other’s lander crashes on moon. Their Lander was also carrying some equipment. There was a digital library which contained history of mankind. They also sent some micro animals called “Tardigrades”.
- So they want to know what exactly happened with the Beresheet Lander and with the ISRO’s orbiter in the moon’s orbit. It is very much possible it may be able to capture the image of Beresheet just like it captured Vikram by its cam.
That's all for this time. Will be back soon with another interesting topic.
To be updated follow our facebook and instagram pages.