What happened recently??
- In a major boost for infantry troops of the Army, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) on Wednesday successfully test fired Man Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM) system from a firing range in Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh.
- This is the third successful test firing of missile system which is being developed for Army’s need for third generation Anti-tank guided missile.
- The missile was fired from a man portable tripod launcher and target was simulated to be a functional tank.
- The missile succeeded in hitting the target in the top attack mode and completely decimated the target.
- The MPATGM is a low weight, fire-and-forgetanti-tank guided missile (ATGM). It is fitted with a high-explosive anti-tank (HEAT) warhead.
- The missile has a length of about 1,300 mm and a diameter of about 120 mm.
- It has a weight of 14.5 kg, with its command launch unit (CLU) weighing 14.25 kg.
- It has a range of about 2.5 km.
- The MPATGM is equipped with an advanced Imaging Infrared radar (IIR) seeker with integrated avionics.
- The missile has top attack capability.
- DRDO started work on a man-portable version of the Nag missile in 2005.
- On 20 December 2017, India cancelled a major deal for acquiring the Israeli Spike (ATGM) in favour of the DRDO MPATGM, after deciding that no transfer of technology was needed for the development of MPATGM.
- However, India reauthorized the deal in January 2018 during a visit of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to India.
- This deal was cancelled again in June 2019 after DRDO promised to deliver the MPATGM by 2021.
- On September 15, 2018, DRDO carried out the first trial of the MPATGM successfully. This trial was followed by another successful trial of the MPATGM on September 16, 2018.
- On March 13, 2019 DRDO successfully tested the MPATGM in the Rajasthan desert. This was followed by another successful test next day on March 14, 2019.
- The Missile was again successfully tested on September 11, 2019 in the test ranges of Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh. This test paved the way for the Army to have developed 3rd generation man portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile indigenously.
This development will provide an edge to the army as tanks can be destroyed by a man portable tripod launcher and moreover many countires will eye to buy this so it will also increase our exports in near future.
Have Suggestions or query about any topic. Comment below and we will reply.
That's all for this time. Will be back soon with another interesting topic.
To be updated follow our facebook and instagram pages.